Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Laundry Soap Recipe

Some of you have asked me for my laundry soap recipe so here it is:

1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda!)
1/2 cup Borax
2 gallon bucket

Put the soap in a sauce pan, add 6 cups of water & heat until soap melts. Add washing soda & borax, stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water int
o bucket. Add soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Allow to sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. Use 1/2 cup per load.

This laundry soap has been tested in 3 different high efficiency washing machines and does not cause any damage. It's naturally low-sudsing. I've done a cost analysis for my family of 6 and it's about $3.50 for 3 months worth of laundry soap.

You can add your favorite essential oil if you like your laundry soap to be scented.  Lavender is a good one.  So is orange if you want that fresh laundry smell.  Recommended amount is 20-30 drops.  Play around with it so you get the amount of scent that you like.  I add mine after I add the soap mixture but before I add the rest of the water so it gets mixed in very well.

Recipe compiled from several different sources including www.livingonadime.com and www.thefamilyhomestead.com

No comments:

Post a Comment